Sunday, December 12, 2010

Thai Mac n' Cheese

From: Rochelle

I love Thai food. It is probably my favorite kind of food. I could eat it every day. Last night, dinner rolled around, and I thought, "I'm in the mood for Thai food." SO, I made this recipe up based on what we had available, and I think it turned out pretty darn good. I used whole-wheat pasta to add fiber and nutrients. The best part about this recipe is the pumpkin puree gives it the "cheesy" color with out all the calories and adds lots of nutrients! Your family will never know!



Thai Mac n'Cheese
2 C Whole-Wheat Pasta  (I used shells, but macaroni, spaghetti, or even served over rice would be good)
4-5 Turkey Bacon Strips
1/4 Onion-Chopped
1/2 Red Bell Pepper-Chopped
3-4 Garlic Cloves-minced
1 C  Pumpkin Puree (You can substitute this for any squash puree)
1 can  Coconut Milk
1/2 C Water
1/2-1 C Frozen Peas
1/2 C Sharp Cheddar Cheese
1-3 t Dried basil
Salt & Pepper to taste
Red Pepper Flakes (optional . . . unless you're feeding Austin, then it's a must :)



1. First get the pasta cooking while you are preparing everything else.

2. I used a pan with a 2-3 inch lip all the way around. Cook the turkey bacon until crispy. Turkey bacon doesn't really get crispy in the pan. I usually cook it until it start to brown a little and then flip, brown. Then take it out, place it on some paper towels, and let sit as I work on the rest of the meal. As the bacon sits, it becomes crunchier. Then chop or crumble. Set aside.

3. After taking the bacon out, in the same pan, saute onion and bell pepper. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute. Turn heat down, and add pumpkin puree, water, and coconut milk.  Add frozen peas, salt and pepper, and basil and bring to a boil. If you want to add red pepper flakes, add them now.

4. At the last minute, right before serving, add the bacon, cooked pasta, and cheese. Coat the pasta with the sauce, and enjoy!!

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...