Last week, Austin and I bought some strawberries from Costco. What's a better way to eat them than on a fruit pizza! You can use these recipes to make a fruit pizza OR just a healthier sugar cookie. Your choice! I LOVE the frosting recipe because seriously, using these healthy ingredients almost gives it the texture of marshmallow creme, SO good!
Healthy Fruit Pizza OR Sugar Cookies
Whole-Wheat Sugar Cookies
· 2 cups whole wheat flour (If you aren't use to the taste of Whole Wheat, you might want to 1 C Whole-Wheat and 1 C White)
· 2 teaspoons baking powder
· 1/2 teaspoon salt
· 1 cup sugar (You can use honey, I will be honest, it needs the sugar. It's a cookie!)
· (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened (Or ¼ C Oil, ¼ C Butter)
· 1 egg (Or 2 egg whites or ¼ C egg substitute)
· 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
· 2 tablespoons milk
1. In a medium bowl, sift or whisk together the flour with the baking powder and salt. In another bowl, cream the sugar with the butter until light lemon-yellow, about 4 minutes. Beat in the egg until incorporated. Stir in the vanilla and milk, then add the flour mixture ½ cup at a time and mix until blended.
2. Form dough into a disc, wrap in plastic and refrigerate for at least an hour, or until firm. This step is really important!
3. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper. On a lightly floured surface, roll dough out until thin, about 1/8 inch. Cut into desired shapes, or make the size you want your pizza. sprinkle with sugar and place on the prepared sheets. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until lightly browned. Transfer to wire racks to cool.
Makes about 4 dozen 2-inch cutout cookies.
Healthy(ish) Cream Cheese Frosting
1/2 C Smart Balance Butter
1 (8 oz) Block of FAT-FREE Cream Cheese
2 C Powered Sugar (or to taste)
2 T Milk
1 tsp Vanilla
Blend with an electric blender until very smooth and fluffy. I recommend starting with the cream cheese, milk, and vanilla. Then gradually add the powdered sugar to taste.
To assemble your fruit pizza:
1. Bake your sugar cookie crust. Let cool.
2. Spread frosting.
3. Put on desired fruit. We used strawberries & Pineapple, but blueberries and mango would be good too.
4. Cut and eat!!